Skip to main content

Father Augustine Schwarz Collection


This collection reconstructs the thirty years of Father Augustine’s service to his Church through his photographs. It contains 163 photographs taken between 1916 and 1940 documenting Franciscan chapels, missions and religious activities at numerous American Indian villages in Arizona.

The majority of the images fall into three groups: the Pima people of Central Arizona; the Tohono O’odham of the south, and the Apache in the Whiteriver area of northern Arizona. St. John’s Mission in the village of Komatke, some 14 miles southwest of Phoenix, received the most extensive photographic coverage.

Photographs of the Franciscan, Augustine Schwarz, O.F.M., were donated to Arizona State University's Anthropology Department by Elizabeth M. Jones, in 1986, and transferred to the Labriola National American Indian Data Center, University Libraries, Arizona State University, in June of 2000.


thumbnail image

Fr. Nicholas, Augustine, Vincent, and unidentified Indians with wagon after pulling Ford over Gila River

Contributors
Schwarz, Augustine
thumbnail image

Horses, dog, and boy under trees

Contributors
Schwarz, Augustine
thumbnail image

Pima/ Papago Village

Contributors
Schwarz, Augustine
thumbnail image

Three figures in desert with distant mountains

Contributors
Schwarz, Augustine
thumbnail image

Touring car (convertible) on desert road

Contributors
Schwarz, Augustine
thumbnail image

Two Indians on horseback with automobile in rear

Contributors
Schwarz, Augustine
thumbnail image

Unidentified Indian on horseback

Contributors
Schwarz, Augustine
thumbnail image

Sacred to the Papago, it is seen in the distance from the desert floor

Contributors
Schwarz, Augustine
thumbnail image

Backview of the photograph Fr. Nicholas, Augustine, Vincent, and unidentified Indians with wagon after pulling Ford over Gila River

Contributors
Schwarz, Augustine
thumbnail image

Backview of the photograph Wooden Chapel

Contributors
Schwarz, Augustine
Created Date
1920-12